Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Year Later - A Believer!

My last (and only) post entitled "Why is There Air?" covered my questions about the Creator. I have been working diligently on this question for most of my life and hadn't quite made the leap of faith to accept Jesus Christ as my Savior. My youngest son is a minister and he has willingly discussed my questions but did express on occasion that he was worried for my salvation. I think he has been praying for me for a long time, as have a few close friends.

Even though I have read literally hundreds of Christian books, and books on other faith systems, as well as exploring the Bible at great length, I always have had a problem making the leap to believe in the virgin birth and the resurrection. Both seemed highly improbable to me and both are common to several other religions including Mithraism. The myth of the dead and risen hero is common, as exhibited by the Arthurian legend.

Amazingly, what finally tipped the scales for me was Judaism. Somehow, we never question the happenings in the Old Testament with God's Chosen People. One day recently I had a sudden epiphany that the stories of God's power in the Old Testament are just as improbable on the surface as those in the New Testament. Yet, millions of people believe without question in Moses leading his people to the Promised Land, the giving of the Ten Commandments, God speaking from the burning bush, etc. If that is so, then it should follow that God's manifestations in the New Testament are also true. Shazam! I got it and am now happy to acknowledge Jesus Christ as my King and Savior. Whew! It has been a long trip. I look forward to seeing my dear departed ones in Heaven, but not too soon.

No comments: