Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Facebookin'

My daughter-in-law asked me recently whether or not I was on Facebook. I wasn't sure since I've signed up for several networking things so I took a look and found that I was not. I just signed up yesterday and already have found many, many friends. This thing is addictive though and it seems to have taken the place of private chats on Yahoo Messenger or Google.

Since the Internet has become a very weird place, it is always something of a risk to put information out there about oneself. I just recommend to others that you enter nothing that you wouldn't want to see on the front page of the newspaper. Bill O'Reilly commented on his show last night that the notion of privacy in public is now nonexistent in the USA and probably the world. Privacy violations on our own property are still prosecutable but everything outside is anybody's guess.

I found a few McCurdy cousins on Facebook that I would not have been in touch with otherwise since they are in S. Calif. Also re-established a contact with a cousin in Fairbanks, AK. The Internet has allowed me to do marvelous things with genealogy research!

I just wish that the perverts and crooks could somehow be prevented from using it to endanger our children and to cheat people. Every new communications tool has immediately been latched onto by undesirable elements.

1 comment:

Richard A. Price, Moderator said...

Hello my name is Rich Price. Earlier you posted a comment on my blog http://oregonlighthouse.blogspot.com/ on an entry about Joseph Price and Mary Puffenbarger. Unfortunately, this entry was lost because I moved my genealogy entries to http://richgenealogy.blogspot.com/ to keep them separate.

Thanks, Rich Price